Search This Blog

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Here We Go, again....

The good news: I survived another contraction.

The bad news: I've experienced way too much "change" in the past 48 hours. My Jeepny, Home Sweet Home, and "Bay-gull" are all gone from my life.

Needless to say, I'm kind of in a funk right now. To add more insult to injury, it looks like I'm going to have to withdraw from the Radiography program for now. (Yeah, I know, it sucks.)

Niki is probably going to have her port surgery in March/April so I'll have to take a few weeks off from work AND school. Then, in Oct/Nov my day rotation starts and I'll only be able to work 2 days a week. I've been applying for job transfers since March (when I got accepted into the program) and I've spoken to several department managers. ALL of them (including my current manager) said they wouldn't be able to accommodate my school schedule (day rotation) even if it was only for six weeks. Unfortunately, I have to save all of my vacation time for Niki's surgery. And no, quitting Kaiser to go to school is NOT an option. A one month supply of Niki's prophy costs close to $50k. Even JD's health benefits can't beat my $5 co-pay.

So, I really don't have any choice.

I have to withdraw now (after the 1st quarter) before I end up owing too much on the forgivable loan. Each semester costs $1000! The loan is only forgivable if I complete the program and find a job 3 months after I graduate. My balance will only get higher as the quarters progress. Now that I know I won't be completing the program on time, it would behoove me to withdraw now. I can come back and resume the program next year anyway.

On the upside, in the interim, I think I'm going to resume my Sex Educator training. I got accepted into a training program just before Ethan passed away. I declined my acceptance because I wasn't in the right state of mind to learn about "sexy stuff" at the time. Maybe all of this "radiography difficulty" is God's way of redirecting me back to my original passion.

The training program starts in October. (Exactly one month after the quarter ends.)

Life sucks, but it goes on right? I've experienced more traumatic things. (Losing Ethan was definitely no walk in the park. Have a baby, wait seven days, and imagine how it would feel to have your baby die.) Compared to that, all this "change" is a piece of cake. Nevertheless, I'll bounce back. I always do. :)

Helen Keller is famously quoted for saying:

"When one door closes, another opens. But we often look so regretfully upon the closed door that we don't see the one that has opened for us."

I couldn't agree more.

No comments:

Post a Comment