Search This Blog

Friday, October 8, 2010

"Be Prepared to Sweat"

When the boys finally got old enough,  Kev and Boo's Ninangs (M & E) would take them out for a day of shopping and junk food indulgence. (BTW - If you guys have any pics, please send 'em my way so I can add them to their scrapbooks.) Anyway, M & E would pick up their excited godchildren so they could celebrate their birthdays. They would take them to Target, place each godchild in their own shopping cart, and spoil them rotten. Then M & E would stuff the boys with Icees, burgers, and of course, good times! Every year, before they would pick up the boys, I always warned reminded  M & E to, "Be prepared to sweat." Even when my best friend K and her soon-to-be hubby Jay offered to take the boys to the carnival this past June, I warned them to "be prepared to sweat" too!

Why do I do this?  Well, it's simple really. There is seriously something about taking care of children that makes you more aware of your sweat glands. I've never been a sweaty person, but during times of stress of parental embarrassment, I suddenly feel hot. Very hot. Parenting is tough stuff. Quick would-be-10-minute-trips to the grocery store turn into a huge ordeal. It takes tons of planning and preparation when you have three kids to lug around. Or even one kid for that matter! What takes a "normal person" 15 minutes to accomplish, takes 45 minutes for a parent to complete.

Kids. Make. You. Sweat!

Last weekend  (10/1/10) John went to Pismo Beach for his "bachelor party."  (It wasn't cancelled despite our wedding being postponed.) This is the 3rd time he has left me to lion tame on my own for a weekend, and ...HOT DAMN....I did a hell of a lot of sweating this weekend!!! My SILs and MIL were a huge help, but I must say this "pseudo-single-parent thing" is tough for me. It definitely doesn't help that I'm pregnant, exhausted all the time, and have terrible sciatica. (I can barely carry Niki anymore.) I wasn't exactly the thrilled about the idea of John's celebration --who has a bachelor party when they're not getting married?--but it was a wonderful opportunity for the kids and I to have some alone time. I had a blast hanging out with my cubbies for the the weekend. :)
 
(BTW - My hat's off to all you single parents out there. I have three very good friends who do the "single parent thing" on a daily basis. And like to take a moment to share that I really admire them for being able to keep it together. I could barely hang for a weekend!)

John left at around 7pm on Friday 10/1/10. After dinner was served, the kids were bathed, medication was administered, and cleaning was done, I let the kids paint up a storm. They drew all sorts of goodies, and I plastered them all over the place. They were very proud of their art gallery, and I experienced the "Art of Lion Taming" on a literal level. ;-)

Boo's Artwork...
This yellow picture is supposed to be Boo riding on Epin Lion Lion. "And he has wheels!"
 Another lion by Boo..
LOL... I have no idea why Boo wrote out "BAD"
 Boo's "October Calendar"

Kev's Artwork...
His rendition of an "October Calendar"
 Kev's 1st Lion...
 I think we have a budding obsession with lions!
 Kev's Racecar...

Niki's Artwork...
 Niki saw the boys painting and said, "Eye-n daw." Which translates to "I want draw." :)
Her Ninong P and Auntie T got her this art pad when she was in the hospital for the Serratia infection.
Niki still LOVES using it!!! And yes, she's a lefty.

Saturday, 10/2/10 was a little more hectic. Kevin had CCD in the morning, I had baking to do, and it was my nephew/godson's 2nd birthday party in Hercules. Boo injured his foot that morning (it got sliced open after it got caught under a door) so he was NOT a happy little boy. If you know Boo, then you probably know all about how "all is not right with the universe" when Boo needs his attention. He cried for close to 30 minutes! I tried my best to shower him with kisses and  juggle Niki's needs at the same time. I felt hot --very hot-- during that 30 minute time period! I bandaged his foot and wrapped an icepack around it, and it still wasn't enough to satisfy him.

After I got back from picking up Kevin at CCD, Boo helped me bake cookies for my nephews party. Thank goodness a little bit of sugar was all he needed to turn his frown upside down. Oh, and my frown too, of course! Beating the shit out of eggs that morning helped me get rid of some residual annoyance I had with John for leaving me for the weekend. ;)
Sifting...
Beating...
 Incorporating...
 Boo beating out some of his anger...
 More Boo-Boo...
 Done...
  Chocolate Chip Cookies.....
 I know you're not supposed to, but I can never resist opening up the stove to take a peek. And a whiff!
 We also made what John likes to call "Churro Cookies." 
Rolling in cinnamon sugar...
 They smell like Christmas when they bake. :)
 The finished product...
 Cooooookies!!!
Boo enjoying the fruits of his labor...
I did too. :)
  

Once all the baking was done, I got the kids ready so we could make it to my nephew/godson Enzo's 2nd birthday party/house warming in Hercules. My SIL KC came along to help since I had to take the smaller (less comfortable car) on the long drive there. The cubs love their Daddy's "monster truck" because they can watch movies during long car rides. The cubs were cranky (they were"bored") so the car ride to Hercules SUCKED despite my SIL being there to help. Nevertheless, we made it to Hercules no more than 2 hours after the party started. And this was with traffic and getting a little lost! (John took the GPS with him to Pismo.) Enzo's party was super fun, adorable, and his cake was perfect for the occasion. It's a replica of my sister's house. :)

I had an awesome time catching up with my sisters (I've missed them terribly), my neice D, and hanging out the bathroom with my Stepmama & Dad. We even helped my little brother K work on some Philosophy homework in the process! I was "sweating up a storm" keeping up with the cubs, but my SIL KC was a tremendous help! The best part of the night was seeing my Grandma. I hadn't seen her for a few months, and it feels always makes me feel so good to be in her presence. My Nanay's strength always fills me with so much hope even when I'm feeling at my lowest. I can only hope to evolve into half the person she is as I travel my life's journey.

Here are a few pictures of the party...








The boys waiting for their phallic balloon animals...

Niki's doing the hokey-pokey! (See the phallic balloon sculpture?)


My sister S got this keepsake for Ethan in Greece. (She even brought back t-shirts for the boys and N&N's first matching dress set!) But...it was this souvenir that blew me away. It didn't make me sad, but I felt my eyes water because I was so touched and overjoyed that she thought of him. Thanks, S. I know Ethan appreciates it too. :)

We got back from Hercules pretty late. My SIL and I were exhausted --totally "sweated out"-- and the kids were knocked out by the time we for back to DC. The only upside to our crazy day was the fact that the kids slept the entire night. They had a LOT of fun! And I got some much needed sleep.

I woke up the next day and felt like baking again. Boo and I made some cheesecake and more "churro cookies" so they would be ready by the time John got home. Can you tell that I'm having fun with my rekindled love affair with baking? I know I've said it before, but I feel like a kid again.  :)

Finely crushed by hand. (Boo is helping me fill the measuring cup.)
 Mixed in the pie plate to save on dishes. ;-)

 Packing the crust...
 Whipped by hand...
 More whipping...
 Pouring...
Now it's set...
The finished product....

The recipe was a little sweet for my taste so I'm going to cut out some of the sugar next time -- I like my cheesecake a little more "cheesier." (John loved it, but one slice was too much sweetness for me so I guess different strokes for different folks.) Also, the recipe called for a 2 hour set time, but I think overnight is a little better. The cheesecake pie tasted even better the next day.

All in all, this weekend was a blast. (Even though John wasn't around to help.) John claims that he won't be having a bachelor party anymore when we actually DO get married because of this weekend getaway. We'll see about that! The kids missed their Daddy desperately and I was still mildly annoyed when he got home, but deep down inside I missed him too. And...even though I wasn't totally "prepared to sweat" for the weekend, having some one-on-one time with my cubs was totally worth it.

(Random Note: Niki's MRSA came back. She developed a new bite-like lesion on her left hip/groin area on Wednesday 9/29. Dr. Sweetheart had Niki get back on Septra on Thursday, 9/30. The good news is Niki's lesion is smaller than the first one, and Dr. Sweetheart thinks this second round of Septra will fully eradicate the problem. She's officially off the Septra this Sunday. It just sucks to have to follow the MRSA de-colonization protocol...again. And to be back on a crazy medication schedule...again! Niki doesn't like swallowing meds so we have to mix it (the Septra & Iron) with some Pediasure.)


No comments:

Post a Comment